Sunday, February 2, 2014

Makeshift Mantle

Our living room came with a fireplace, but no mantle. Why do builders do this? It truly makes the fireplace look cold and un-inviting! So, I came up with a way to make a mantle and very inexpensively.
I ran to Home Depot and picked up two 4x4's, pre-treated with a rustic look and feel to them. I had Home Depot cut the pieces of wood to 64 inches in length. 
 I went and found two brackets I liked, some wall screws and anchors that could carry 100 pounds.
I placed the two pieces of wood side by side, screwed them into the brackets, and it makes the perfect mantle to display items. It feels much more cozy and intimate in the living room now, just the look I was going for.
So, for $40.00....a mantle to enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me with your creativeness! Your new mantle looks great! Can't wait to see more pics of your new home. I'm sure it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay ... you ARE back ... we've all missed you! Congrats on your new home ... can't wait to see more! I love your DIY mantel ... beautiful! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just thrilled that you are back, Liz! I know I am not alone in saying "You have been very missed!" Your DIY mantel is wonderful, and how exciting for you and for us that you have a new home to decorate. Let the "Liz Party" begin!!!
    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Liz I am sooo happy that you are back. I've missed you and your blog. Blogland just hasn't been the same for me since you left. Don't let anyone steal your thunder girl:). Everything looks beautiful as always. Your new home is gorgeous.. congrats and best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful mantel, and great idea! Looks great in your room!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great Liz and I love the pretty display you created!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't you smart to create your own mantel! It looks fabulous, as always! Can't wait to see more of your new home! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome idea! The rustic looks is perfect for your mantel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks wonderful and can't beat the price. Let me know if you would like to do "How I Found My Style Sundays" again with your new home and new blog. I know a lot of readers will be so excited to know you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to be creative! If anyone could figure a way to make a lovely mantel and make it affordable, too, it is you! You're always thinking outside the box. Great way to warm up a mantel-less fireplace! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...